Policy for student leadership and co-curricular activities
Student leadership means students take active roles in their education and develop positive skills in the process. The goal of inspiring student leaders is to create a culture of ownership, collaboration and community in the relevant area. Student leadership development helps to create skills that the students can carry over to adulthood.
To develop student leadership skills via university practices and opportunities for students to positively engage, contribute, develop and strengthen their skills through co-curricular activates, student bodies and societies as well as through community service projects.
To grow students into innovative, responsible, ethical and civic minded leaders who contribute firmly not only to their local but also to global communities.
Policy/guidelines on students’ societies/clubs
Student societies play a vital role in grooming the inner skills of an individual and they become able to compete and present themselves as more confident personalities. Therefore, to encourage the development of leadership, professional and personal strengths in the students, the competent authorities of SBKWU wants to start the student's societies/clubs.
Aims and Objectives of student’s societies / clubs
- Polish hidden qualities of the students
- To give them a sense of responsibility and ownership.
- To prepare the students to face the challenges of practical life.
- To promote teamwork among the students.
- Enhance the creative potentials of the youth.
- To inculcate in students the spirit of healthy competition.
- To inculcate leadership qualities in students.
- Induce in individuals the sense of love, sacrifice and service to the entire Creation to make them good human beings.
- Prepare students for future challenges in the global context.
Student Societies/clubs Structure
Societies/Clubs will be initiated/created by the students in the mentorship of a faculty /regular employee of the Institute. Minimum 25 students and one faculty member will be required to establish a particular society/club.
- Vice Chancellor
- Pro-Vice Chancellor
- Director KJM
- Focal Person Students Leadership & Co-curricular Activities
- Advisor of each society/club
The focal person shall keep a close eye on all the steps taken by the society and keep them on track according to the constitution of the Council. All Events, and Programs held by society shall be through prior permission of the worthy vice chancellor.
Each Society/Club would be headed by an Advisor who would be a faculty member/regular employee and appointed by the focal person with the approval of the Competent Authority.
- The core task of an Advisor would be to mentor/advise/facilitate the cabinet members of the concerned society/club for organizing any event.
- At the outset of an academic year, each society would submit a year planner of activities to be held on specific days.
- The society advisor would be responsible to organize at least three major activites/events during an academic year.
- The cabinet members under the guidance of advisor would keep a proper record of the events/activities of the society concerned.
- The Advisor would take prior approval for advance payment from the Competent Authority via focal person to organize an activity. A case for adjustment of the advance drawn would be submitted to the concerned office within a week after the event is held.
- Reporting of any activity of the society to the focal person would be the responsibility of the advisor.
- The Advisor would submit the particulars of their respective cabinet members/office bearers to the focal person office for notification within a week.
- Student cabinet
The focal person and advisor will initially select a cabinet and after that the process of election will be introduced among the students of each club. The cabnet composed of the following members:
- The President
- The General Secretary
- The Secretary Finance
- The Media Secretary
- Responsibilities of the Cabinet Members
- The President
- One senior and most eligible student who shall be recommended by advisor.
- The President will plan, arrange, coordinate and supervise all the events of the societies. She is to recommend ways and means to improve the overall performance of the clubs and its members. She shall be responsible for ensuring discipline in the club and that the club is run as per rules/regulation described in this policy.
- The President will have to submit quarterly progress reports to focal person with consultation of respective advisor.
- The President will have to put up planned activity schedule to the focal person with the consultation of advisor before the start of semester.
- The General Secretary
- The General Secretary would keep a proper record of minutes of the meetings of all activities and the attendance of the cabinet and general members, etc.
- The General Secretary of a Society would submit a copy of attendance to the focal person. All record must be properly submitted to the focal person on the completion of the term of the cabinet or earlier.
- The Secretary Finance
- The Secretary finance would be responsible for financial matters and audit of a society and prepare a case in advance for approval for any activity.
- She would also be responsible for the adjustment of the amount within a week after holding of event and submit the case to the focal person through the Advisor/Mentor of the concerned society/club.
- The Media Secretary
- The primary role of Media Secretary is to obtain new memberships manage them and keep the record of the members.
- Media Secretary will render the list of registered members to the Advisor before the event is planned.
- It is the responsibility of Media Secretary to collect all the relevant post-event details and keep them as record as well as publish it in the local newspapers, University newsletters, website and facebook..
- Media Secretary will provide a copy of newspaper/newsletter having published activities to the President which then be notified on departments notice boards.
- She would also be responsible for submission of report of bi-annual activities of her society to the focal person through the Advisor/Mentor. Any media/press release must be approved by the concerned authority before it is issued.
- SOCIETY MEMBERS
- Society members are subject to the decisions made by the society executives and must abide by all the rules and regulations.
- Society members shall completely cooperate with their society executives and take part in all society activities to the full.
- They shall not miss any meeting without a written excuse. In case of non-compliance, they would be subject to disciplinary action.
- All members shall seek guidance from their society cabinet and so on.
- No one shall supersede and approach any senior designated or any higher authority without the consent of his respective society coordinator.
- Steps before conducting an event/activity
- Students willing to conduct an event/activity will be required to submit a written request to the focal person duly signed by the Advisor of the society/club.
- Students completing all requirements will be eligible to book their venue/facilities by visiting the Provost office/Administration department, along with the original copy of the event organizing approved application. This is subject to the availability of the required facilities.
- All bookings of the facilities/venues will be done by the focal person /Administration department.
- Meeting of the Cabinet/Society can be called only in break time to avoid any disturbance in the curricular activities.
- In all activities/events, students will strictly observe the disciplinary rules.
- General conduct for students and Advisors
- All participants must maintain a clean environment, observe teamwork, exercise tolerance and respect each other.
- Society Advisor must review the content of the programs to ensure that it is not controversial or damaging to the SBKWU in any manner.
- No student can enjoy the Cabinet position of two or more societies/clubs or keep two positions of the same society at the same time.
- Any member of the cabinet can be removed by the focal person on request of the concerned Advisor on account of misbehavior, or violation of the rules etc.
- Any cabinet member of the society/club who does not attend two consecutive official meetings without any valid reason would be relieved from her office/duties with the recommendation of the Advisor.
- Prior approval for organizing an event along with its budget would be necessary from the Competent Authority.
- The whole Cabinet would work collectively as a single body for a society.
- DISCIPLINARY MATTERS
Discipline is an essential part of our Nations motto and must be maintained in all aspects and matters of the societies for better management.
- No one shall ever discriminate anyone based on personal issue or racial, cast, or religious differences. Anyone found involved in such shall be subject to disciplinary action.
- All societies’ members and executives shall discuss all matters with their society executives and shall seek guidance from them. They shall always be dedicated to their society and put their other interests aside for the work. Anyone found involved in such shall be subject to disciplinary action.
- Any President, society executive or member found involved in any activity that is against the SBKWU rules shall be subject to disciplinary action.
- Anyone being a reason, or anyone found involved in bringing defamation/humiliation to the society, its Executives or the University shall be subject to disciplinary action.
- Anyone found involved and proved guilty in harassment of any other Executive or member of the society shall be subject to disciplinary action.
- Anyone who has resigned or has left any society at times when the society needed them the most, for no matter any reason from no matter any designation shall never be allowed to be a part the council in any case.
- No society executive or member shall supersede his senior in regard of any matter as if Events, Meeting, and other society discussions. She shall always discuss such matters with his relevant senior designated and then move to the top step by step for a better management and organization of the society in future. Anyone found violating in such case shall be subject to disciplinary action.
- No one shall approach focal person regarding any upcoming event or similar related affairs without her consulting the respective senior of his society shall be considered a violation of discipline of the code of conduct and the person shall be subject to disciplinary action.
In all matters of SBKWU, the penalty code must be kept in regard so that a wise decision could be taken and the responsible shall be given adequate punishment. There are two types of penalties according to the category of committed violation.
- A. Major Violation will have major penalties including:
- Permanent expulsion from the society.
- Expulsion from the present cabinet.
- Removed from her designation.
- Demotion from the current designation.
- B. Minor violations will have minor penalties including:
- Show cause notice regarding the minor violation.
- Denied participation in one upcoming event of the president’s choice.
- Written apology to the president of the society.
Before any such action in regard of major penalties, an inquiry officer must be appointed for a free and fair inquiry by the focal person. The inquiry officer must respond with an inquiry report after one week including weekends to the focal person.
- Eligibility requirement to become member of Society/Club
- Dully filled application form must be submitted to the advisor of each club.
- Only those students who qualify their first semester in the University would be eligible for any cabinet position/member.
- CGPA must be greater/equals to 2.5.
- Must adhere to University Code of Conduct.
- Rewards for Active Club Officials
For encouraging and motivating the Club’s Officials, an annual evaluation of their achievements shall be made by advisor on the basis of Quarterly performance. The Best performers shall be awarded some incentives like prize money, Shields or certificates as approved by the Competent Authority of SBKWU.